We love burgers around here, and making them is usually a Dude Time endeavor- which means I get a few minutes to relax while I wait for them to finish. Yay! One way to speed things up and get hungry people fed quicker is to pre-make the burgers and freeze them for a quick dinner later. This recipe will make several lunches or two hearty dinners for four.
The addition of two of my dudes’ favorite ingredients (apple sauce and oatmeal) meant they were excited to try them, and also made for a somewhat more rounded nutritional profile on the meal. We like to eat these on whole wheat toast or whole wheat buns, with a side of apple slices and carrot sticks.
- 3 lbs ground turkey
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 3 Tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 3 Tablespoons mustard
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 cups oatmeal, regular or quick
- Mix as for meatloaf (Kid powered potato masher!)
- Form into ¼ pound balls and flatten into patties. (We have a patty making tool and my kid loves this part!)
- If not serving immediately, freeze on wax paper in a single layer. Transfer frozen patties to a larger container with wax paper between layers to prevent sticking.
- Cook as usual for burgers- fry, broil, or grill to 165 degrees F.