“Hey, you want to come over to my house to play?”
Those words never get old to a kid, and probably not to a mom either. But once my kiddos start to approach preschool age, I find they are tickled pink (sometimes) by themed playdates and parties. As a stepping off point for hands on learning or imagination play, themed playdates can’t be beat. But sometimes, if you’re like me, you need a little inspiration. Here’s our compendium of great play date ideas!
Whether you’ve got a playgroup, a rainy day, or a homeschool co-op, we’ve got something for you. Do you have a great playdate to share? Submit it! We love hearing from you! Be sure to subscribe so you can get great playdate ideas in your inbox every week.
Recent Great Playdates:
- We had a Kids’ Cookie Baking Adventure Party, and you can too! Thanks to the review copy I received from Mimi’s Adventures in Baking Chocolate Chip Cookies, we embarked on a Cookie adventure with our friends! Baking is a fantastic way to introduce kids to the kitchen, because they are really interested in the results. (I mean… chocolate chip cookies! Who doesn’t want those?) Mimi’s Adventures in ...
- One, two, BOO! A spooky story time plan Despite the fact that my kiddo is deeply ambivalent about his costume, we are all looking forward to Halloween at my house! And there is no better way to celebrate any holiday, in my opinion, than with hands-on learning activities and a nice story time. This roundup has got messy play, recycling bin crafts, printable ...
- Book ‘Em Kiddo: Caterpillar & Butterfly Story Time We are lucky enough to live near an indoor butterfly exhibit that you can visit with (or without) your children. The first time we went, my kid liked it. The second time we went, he was a little weirded out by the number of butterflies and the way they moved. That is, until one landed ...
- Stars & Bars: A Patriotic Playdate Fun patriotic activities while you’re waiting for the fireworks, or for extended learning fun before or after July 4th. (NO fire involved!) read full post --->
- Book ‘Em Kiddo: The Zoo Mommy’s taking us to the zoo tomorrow… the zoo themed story time, that is! Here are zoo activities, printables, books, and more for your zoo themed playdate, party, or story time. read full post --->
- Superhero Playdate & Story Time Ideas To little kids who are just starting to understand that there aren’t always happy endings, the idea of someone endowed with more than the normal ability to make things okay is pretty comforting. Letting them pretend to be the super hero allows them to identify themselves as the character in the story who can solve ...
Browse Playdate ideas by topic:
Are you looking to get in on some great playdate action? Make sure you visit one of our local sites, or get more information about starting one near you. We make it easy and fun to start a group of Joy Makin’ Mamas near you!