On a recent visit to Virginia’s wine country (oh, yes, Virginia has wine. In fact, Virginia has some wine that is actually starting to make people take notice. But I digress.) I had occasion to try mulled wine for the first time. I’ve always loved mulled cider, but wine adds a richness and depth that blew me (and my palate) away. You can use any wine you like in this hot punch, and you will probably enjoy experimenting to find out which one you like most. The winery graciously gave me their recipe (handwritten, on a post-it note, for added charm) which I promptly lost, so I did some research and created this recipe based on what I could remember and on ideas from several other recipes for hot punches.
I enjoyed the little hint of tang added by the lemonade, but If you would prefer a less citrus-y punch, skip it.
- 1 bottle red wine (I used "three buck chuck" Cab Sav.)
- 2 quarts apple juice
- 1 can apple juice concentrate
- 1 can orange juice concentrate
- 1 can lemonade concentrate
- 1 sliced orange
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice OR a "bouquet garni" of 3 cinnamon sticks and half a Tablespoon whole cloves
- combine all ingredients
- Simmer 2 hours or more.
- Serve warm. Garnish with a cinnamon stick, if desired.