When I host a brunch time gathering, I like to make something that is definitely a treat, but that has enough substance to keep you going through the next part of the day. This hearty bread pudding was perfect on both counts. I tried it with fruit, nuts, whipped cream, and powdered sugar and cinnamon. My little guy declared it “honey cake” (Why? I have no idea, as it’s nothing like cake, but if it makes him happy, it makes me happy.) and kept trying to steal mine. (You’re lucky I got a photo for you, as he’s perfectly capable of inserting his spoon right into my photo shoot!)
My guests also seemed to approve, as I got many compliments. My only word of advice is to make sure you use a large enough casserole. I did not, and the praline topping boiled over into an unholy mess in my oven. Enjoy!
- 1 16 oz loaf raisin bread, slices cut in half
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 3¼ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup butter
- 1⅓ cups brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- Grease the inside of a large (at least 2.5 liters) casserole dish. Arrange the bread slices inside.
- Beat together eggs, milk, melted butter, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour over slices and cover. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large glass mixing bowl or measuring cup, combine remaining butter, sugar, and honey and microwave, on high, in 1 minute increments until hot and bubbly. Pour over bread and egg mixture in pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes uncovered, or until the center is set.
Looking for more delicious recipes for entertaining? Join me on our Cake Pinterest Board:
Follow Meghan Gray’s board CAKE on Pinterest.