The carcass from your Crock Cooked Chicken will turn into this hearty, budget friendly soup in no time at all! The surprise is the parsnip. If you haven’t eaten parsnips before, they’re a bit like carrot and a bit like potato and altogether delicious. Since they are root vegetables, they hold up well to slow simmering. (I hear you can mash them like you would a potato, but I haven’t tried it!)
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1 tablespoon Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dried Ground Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced or crushed
- 3 medium Carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks Celery, chopped
- 4 small Red Potato, diced
- 15 ounces Canned Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small Parsnip, thinly sliced
- Quantities are for dried herbs. If you are lucky enough to have some fresh growing in your garden, triple the amount. Before you roast your chicken, rub it all over with this blend of Italian herbs, or substitute your favorite.
- Add some vegetables while you simmer your stock. drain your stock into a soup pot. I reserve the carrots and celery and add them to the soup; you can discard them and replace them if you prefer.
- When you're ready to make your soup, add to your soup base these hearty Italian favorites. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through. Serve with Parmesan cheese and crusty Italian bread.
Have you completed your collection of Joy Troupe cookbooks? Joy Troupe Family Favorites, our original cookbook, is now available as a free download!